Welcome to Grootberg Lodge
Welcome to Journeys Namibia’s flagship lodge, the first middle market establishment to be wholly owned by a conservancy. For the initial development the European Union funded the project through the Ministry of Environment and Tourism’s Development Programme. At the same time, the private sector was called in to provide the training and management skills until the local community becomes self-sustainable.
Your hosts at Grootberg Lodge are members of the rural community, trained by Journeys Namibia to deliver excellent service for international guests in a home-away-from-home atmosphere.
- Damara Cultural Tour
- Visit authentic homesteads of the Damara people and experience todays way of life of the #Khoadi //Hoas community.
- Desert Elephant tracking
- This is one of our most popular activities at Grootberg Lodge. A guide assisted by a tracker will take you out into the surrounding conservancy in search of the elusive desert elephants.
- Moringa Guided Walk
- Guided walks on the plateau are offered unless lions are present. Our knowledgeable guide will point out the various shy inhabitants of the Grootberg mopane savanna.
- Rhino tracking
- Follow the spoors of one of the most elusive and solitary mammals. In an open 4x4 game viewing vehicle your guide and game trackers will take you into Black Rhino territory.
- Sundowner drive
- Grootberg Lodge offers scenic sundowner drives across the Etendeka Plateau for you to marvel at the sunset over the Klip Rivier Valley.